Wednesday, August 1, 2012

If You Can Make Pancakes, You Can Make Naan

What is Naan?

Naan is an Indian bread that is similar to pita, but so much better (don't even try to debate it with me)! It is traditionally made in a tandoor (a clay oven), but I made this naan recipe in a cast iron skillet.
 
 
 
 


The Recipe
  • 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t instant yeast (It is VERY important that you use instant yeast. I used Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast which according to this lengthy discussion on Chow is the same as instant yeast.)
  • 1 1/2 C warm milk - not above 100F (I wanted to make sure that temperature didn't lead to problems so I used a meat thermometer and tested the milk temp before use. I made my milk 90 degrees.)
  • 1 t sugar
  • Butter to taste
  1. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the milk.
  2. Let rest approximately 10 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, mix the flour with the yeast/milk mixture.
  4. Mix in the salt.
  5. Knead until soft and elastic.
  6. Cover with a damp towel and leave in a dark place to rise until doubled, about two hours. (Am I the only one who can't tell when dough has doubled? It looked bigger so I went with it. Maybe I should measure next time?)
  7. Remove the dough from the bowl, degas gently then divide into ten even balls.
  8. Roll out into triangles, dusting lightly with flour as needed. I discovered that the thinner you roll it out the better. (Being the non-perfectionist that I am, I did not make triangles. I made whatever shape things happened to roll out into - mostly amoeba shaped blobs.)
  9. Heat up a frying pan. (I used a cast iron skillet. I also liberally buttered the skillet.)
  10. Generously brush one side of the dough with water and begin to cook with that side down on medium heat.
  11. Brush the other side with water.
  12. The dough should bubble a bit as it cooks. Leave it on the heat for a few minutes, then flip it to cook the other side for a shorter amount of time.
  13. Move to a plate.
  14. Generously butter. Enjoy.


No comments: