Sunday, November 18, 2012
Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
yields one 8″ pie
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup organic sunflower oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 cup orange juice
1/2 Tbsp. dry sweetener
1. Sift flour into a bowl. Remove any bran.
2. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and whisk together with sweetener.
3. Mix dry ingredients into the wet. Dough should be wet enough to hold together and dry enough not to stick to your fingers. It is best to use this dough immediately for easy rolling. (Otherwise, wrap and chill until ready to use.)
4. Roll dough between two pieces of wax paper, (dampen a flat surface and place wax paper on it, flattening to remove bubbles) or use flour to keep dough from sticking. Roll from the center outward, until even, about 1/8” thick. Place the rolled dough in a pie plate and gently press it into the plate, covering the sides and bottom.
5. Pre-bake crust at 350° for 6-10 minutes until golden-brown. Let cool.
2 C. fair-trade chocolate chips (vegan of course)
1 package silken tofu (organic), rinsed and drained
1/4 C. dry sweetener
1 T. vanilla
1. Melt chocolate chips*. In a food processor, using the “S” shaped blade, blend all filling ingredients until smooth.
2. Pour filling into baked crust. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
* To melt chocolate, use a double boiler. If you do not have one, boil water in a large saucepan. Place chocolate in a smaller one and place this saucepan into the boiling water. Warm chocolate on medium heat, stirring until melted.
Top with “Whipped Dream”
Whipped Dream (non-dairy whipped cream)
1/4 cup organic soy milk (thick, creamy)
1/4 cup dry sweetener
2 Tbsp. vanilla
3/4 cup light-flavored organic oil (sunflower)
1. Pour soy milk into a blender, keeping it just under the tips of the blade. Add sweetener and vanilla.
2. Start by blending this mixture, then turn the blender to high speed, slowly adding the oil.
The soy milk will thicken up to a “whipped cream” consistency. You can use this on any of your favorite desserts.