- ½ C. Soy milk (or other milk substitute)
- ½ C. Pomegranate juice
- 5 oz. Baby spinach, organic (about 4 cups packed)
- 1 Banana, medium, peeled
- 1 T. Cocoa powder, raw
- 1 T. Flaxseed
- 2 C. Blueberries, frozen
- Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- Blendtec: Press the SMOOTHIE button.
- Vitamix: VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to VARIABLE, speed #10, then to HIGH. Blend for 1 minute, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
Dark Chocolate increases blood flow to the brain as well as to the heart, so it can help improve cognitive function. It also helps reduce risk of stroke. Dark chocolate contains several chemical compounds that have a positive effect on your mood and cognitive health. One is phenylethylamine (PEA), the same chemical your brain creates when you feel like you’re falling in love. PEA encourages your brain to release endorphins, so eating dark chocolate will make you feel happier.
Spinach is a powerhouse of nutrition rich in many vitamins and nutrients. Experts have identified at least thirteen different compounds in spinach that provide antioxidant and/or anti-cancer benefits. Spinach rich in calcium and magnesium, helps prevent osteoporosis. It is also an excellent source of iron, which is critical for women in menopause and for people who have anemia or chronic fatigue syndrome. Spinach contains vitamin E, which helps slow mental decline and memory loss.