Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Granny's Banana Cream Pie
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 medium firm bananas
1 9 inch pie shell, baked
whipped cream or Cool Whip
1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; stir in milk and mix well.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat.
4. Stir a small amount of cream mixture into egg yolks; return all to saucepan.
5. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from the heat.
6. Add butter and vanilla; mix well; allow to cool slightly.
7. Slice the bananas and place evenly in pastry shell; pour cream mixture over bananas.
8. Cool; before serving, garnish with whipped cream or Cool Whip and bananas.
9. Refrigerate any leftovers.