One of life’s great joys is sitting down to a family meal with your nearest and dearest. On this blog you will find some awesome recipes from all over the world, that will make your family count their blessings!
So please feel free to click on "FOLLOW" and receive a free piece of Fried Chicken.
With several shortcuts, you can still enjoy the creamy cinnamon flavours of this South African classic recipe in a fraction of the time and with very little fat too!
• 1 packet Cream Cracker biscuits
• 1 litre full-cream milk
• 1 vanilla pod
• 3 large eggs
• 250 ml white sugar
• 50 ml corn flour
• 25 ml cake flour
• 50 g butter
• Ground cinnamon for sprinkling over
*Recipe tested in 900 W microwave oven using 100% Power level throughout
1. Microwave the milk, butter and vanilla seeds together in a large heat-proof bowl for 3-4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, crumble the biscuits into thumb-nail size pieces and use to generously cover the base and sides of a 23cm diameter shallow tart plate.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar thoroughly together. Add both flours. Add this mixture into the hot milk, return it to the microwave and cook for 10 minutes, whisking regularly to ensure a smooth thick sauce.
4. Pour the sauce gently and evenly over the biscuits to fill the tart plate.
5. Set aside to cool down to room temperature, sprinkle generously with ground cinnamon and refrigerate until firm enough to slice into wedges.
Hints and Tips
• Slit the vanilla pod down its length, and with the knife tip, scrape out the seeds which resemble gritty black paste. Store the empty pod with your sugar to impart a vanilla flavour which is super for when you use it for baking.
• This tart keeps well covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.