Prep 30 min
Cook 10 min
Bake 10 min + chilling
- 10 eggs
- 500g pork mince
- 2 tbsp (30ml) wholegrain mustard
- small handful mixed herbs, like parsley, chives and thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cold water
- salt and ground pepper
- 1½ cups (375ml) cake flour
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- 1 cup (250ml) dried breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- tomato sauce, to serve
- handful watercress (optional)
- Place 8 eggs in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil, then simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes. Plunge into a bowl of iced water and set aside.
- Mix the mince, mustard, herbs and water together. Season and form into 8 patties.
- Carefully peel the eggs and gently pat dry. Season and enclose each egg in a patty until completely covered.
- Season the flour to taste in a bowl. Mix the milk and remaining two eggs together in a separate bowl. Season the breadcrumbs and place in a separate bowl. Roll the eggs first in the flour, then in the milk mixture, and finally in the breadcrumbs to coat well. Chill again for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Deep-fry the eggs, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden. Place eggs on a baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes until the meat is just coocked through. Serve with tomato sauce and watercress.