Thursday, August 22, 2013
Hazelnut Meringue Cake
5 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup fine sugar
2/3 cup ground hazelnuts, lightly toasted...
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Hazelnut liqueur (Frangelico)
10 oz (315g) dark chocolate
1 cup ground hazelnuts
15 whole hazelnuts, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 200F/100C.
2. Line the bottom of a baking sheet whit parchment paper. Trace four 4x8 inch (10x20 cm)rectangles. Turn paper over.
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until sugar is dissolved and beat until stiff peaks.
4. Process hazelnuts in a blender and gently fold into meringue.
5. Divide and spoon the mixture onto rectangles. Spread evenly. Bake for 11/2 - 2 hours until lightly browned and dry. Allow to cool.
6. To make the filling, beat whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Add liqueur.
7. Melt chocolate in double boiler. Spread 2/3 of the chocolate over meringue rectangles. Refrigerate for a few minutes to set the chocolate. Spread remaining chocolate over other side of 3 rectangles and place again in a frige. Place fourth rectangle (with only one side chocolate covered)uncovered side down on a serving plate and spread over the filling. Top with second rectangle and spread the filling. Repeat with other meringue and filling. Cover sides and top with filling and ground hazelnuts.
8. Decorate with melted chocolate and whole hazelnuts.